Friday, December 22, 2006

Sleep Apnea, Insomnia, and Narcolepsy

I will tell you of my experience so far. I have been diagnosed for sleep Apnea, Narcolepsy, Restless legs syndrome, as well as ADD and Insomnia. According to the Drs., they believe there are other problems that exist also, but suffice it to say these are the truly diagnosed problems they believe I have. Two years ago I went on long term sick leave with my company, due to the fact I was falling asleep on the job. Being a person who works on the phones 8 hours a day, this was hazardous to keeping my job secure, so I chose to get more help. I had already been diagnosed previously with narcolepsy and was taking up to that time 90 mg of Ritalin a day. The Ritalin was working quite well for a number of years until 2004. As the dosage kept going up my bodies response went down. That is when I began to fall asleep at my job. I was also concerned as to whether I could continue to drive to work successfully without an accident.
With that background I will tell you that I was referred to Stanford University in Central California for treatment and surgery if warranted. In my case, and I stress that very strongly because many other people have had successful operations from this Dr. He has done very well in this area, so we went to him for help. After approximately 5 surgeries and 3 tongue reduction procedures, I have yet to go back to work, or feel any better after having these operations performed. I do not receive any better results from my C-pap machine either.
I tell you these things because of your inquiry, not to keep you from surgery. It could possibly be the answer for you. You should know however that some of the surgeries can change the configuration of your face as well as how your teeth line up after surgery. I have found the teeth problem to be the most irritating. The fact that the surgeries were not successful didn't help either.
You may ask...How does this affect family life? Well, in my case it has really taken a spin..Thank Heavens we have companies like Market America that are trying to help in as many circumstances as possible to help people in our situation.
A few products that have been helpful are: 1.) Mutitech vitamins help me keep up on the daily RDA's, 2.) Mochatonics 3.) Awake, 4.) weight control is a must also, so if that is an issue the Transitions can help with that. As far as a solution, all I can offer is that somewhere in between using Market America products and following Drs. who are familiar with our products seem to be the best result. If that includes surgery by all means do it! I hope this helps you before you take this leap that can be a help or detriment depending on how things go.
Kevin Lister